Iowa Legal Aid makes hope, dignity and justice available to low-income Iowans through legal assistance and education that protects fundamental rights, basic necessities and access to the judicial system; challenges policies and practices that harm low-income persons; and empowers clients to advocate effectively for themselves and their communities.
Iowa Legal Aid envisions a state where low-income people have access to services and resources to meet their basic needs and where all residents can vindicate their legal rights and be treated fairly throughout the civil justice system.
Core Values Statement
Iowa Legal Aid is dedicated to:
- High quality work, which includes responding quickly to new circumstances, developing creative solutions for client problems, tenacity and professionalism.
- Clients, who deserve respect, dignity, compassion, fairness, hope and unwavering commitment.
- All Iowa Legal Aid staff, because the best solutions come from effective teamwork.
- A system of civil justice that provides meaningful opportunities to resolve disputes fairly for all persons, irrespective of income.
- A legal system that affords protections for the least powerful.
- Ensuring that low-income Iowans have access to the services they need, including legal assistance, and to information that enables them to advocate successfully for their own goals.
- Actively engaging volunteer attorneys in the delivery of legal services, and
- Ensuring that the organization is administered with integrity, competence and efficiency, through an engaged and effective Board of Directors and management team.